A dog has died in freezing water, after falling through the ice on a frozen pond in Derbyshire.
It’s sparked a warning to dog owners to keep their pets on a lead at all times around water.
Firefighters were called to Hardwick Hall Park to rescue a small dog that had fallen through the ice.
They used a small boat to get to the dog that had run onto the ice and fallen through – the dog died as a result of the freezing cold water.
Sorry, this content isn’t available on your device.
Firefighters are warning dog owners to keep their pets on a lead:
This tragic incident serves as a stark reminder to dog owners to keep their dogs safe from danger and on the lead at all times when near water.
“As temperatures have dropped, many lakes, ponds and other water ways have quickly frozen over providing dogs with an enticing opportunity to explore. This can soon lead to disaster when the ice becomes thin and they fall through to the freezing water below.
“If a dog, or any other animal does fall through the ice, owners should resist the urge to enter the water to try and save the animal, as this could lead to the owner themselves requiring an emergency rescue. In the event of an emergency please call 999.”
– Paul Green, Station manager