Dog owner issues emotional warning after pet’s surprise chocolate brownie death

Posted on


A UK woman is urging people to be aware of the dangers of sweetener Xylitol after her dog died after eating it.

Hungarian vizsla Ruby stole two brownies her owner Kate Chacksfield made with Xylitol and became violently ill three days later, the Daily Mail reports.

Ruby spent eight days in hospital on life support being treated for liver failure, but died.

Ms Chacksfield said she didn’t realise the sweetener was behind it until after the dog’s death.

“Ruby began being violently sick so I rushed her to the vets [who] sent her home after checking her over,” she told the Daily Mail.

“But soon after she collapsed and we took her back as soon as possible – it was then they started treating her for rat poison because of her symptoms.

“We just thought she may have eaten some by mistake in the park or something – it never crossed my mind to mention the brownies.”

Ruby had eaten brownies before and been fine. Ms Chacksfield said she had been advised by vets small amounts of chocolate are not too harmful to dogs of Ruby’s size.

But it only takes a tiny amount of Xylitol to make a large dog seriously ill and Ms Chacksfield said she wants other owners to be aware of the danger.

Also Read :   Griffin The Golden Retriever Receives Honorary Diploma At Owner's Graduation

“We’d love to be able to save other dogs from going through what Ruby went through by raising awareness on the dangers of Xylitol for dogs.

“It takes just a quarter of a teaspoon of sweetener to harm a dog.”

Newshub.



Source link